Character OTS

OTS 1
OTS 2

Björn & Lirr

Couple OTS

Open winter

N A T S I L A N E

"Wolf of the Sea"

One by one, the soldiers left as did the wolves leaving only the broken cold corpses of the heroically fallen. A silence rang in the air as he had retreated to the depths to heal, poignant once Nat returned to the surface. Dragging himself upon onto a patch of broken ice, the stallion let the pink fleshy tongue between his teeth lick what wounds he could reach. The cold and the salt felt good despite the latter's burn. Snow fell in thick clumps, washed away on the sea but burying the bodies of wolf and horse alike. Rotting stench crept along the surface, poisoning the air with the smell of faint decay. He imagined it would have been worse in the heat, but alas, Natislane felt sorry for those upon the shore.

Day in and day out, he would return to the surface and stare at the bodies. The sounds of the battle rang loud in his head; wolves howling, the tumble beneath the surface, the priestess and her guard. And the fallen, forgotten on this godforsaken shore without a proper burial. Nat knows what it is like to be just that; forgotten. And the thought sparks a fire in him he cannot deny. He would not let these men and women be as such.

His body was heavy outside of the weightless sea. Front hooves, black as slate, began to drag the blubbery body of Natsilane forward. The rocks and coarse sand scratched and cut at his already bruised and healing hide. Pale eyes were fixated on the few closest to the water as he managed to get himself within range to inspect the cadavers. Metal was torn by claws of equal toughness, and their bodies were missing limbs or chunks of flesh. Bone stuck out from a select few. Scavenger birds cawed and gawked from the few sparse trees just a stone's throw away.

The soldier closest to him bore a symbol he hadn't seen in so long; upon his tattered armor, there was the broken sigil of House Tryggr. For a long, quiet moment Natsilane found himself staring at it--as if it were hypnotic in nature. He thought back to his brother's dirty cloak, his mother's vibrant descriptions of his family's life long before their exile. Reaching out his neck, the tender muzzle of Nat brushed against it with delicacy. How long had he wished to see that hold with his own eyes?

Front hooves clamored and scratched, dragging his body further from the sea it was meant to inhabit. Using the telekinetic power he'd been given, he found himself shutting the wide eyes---eyes stuck forever in fear in those final moment's of the lad's life--shut. "I'm sorry it had to be this way, brother" he muttered. "May you find peace and rest in the afterlife." Nat turned and gazed once more upon the frozen shore; bodies, as far as he could see, dotting the blackened sands. It made his stomach churn, and an anger burn in his chest like never before.

template by soupinotes here
Tag: @[Natsilane]

"Guardian-han." The voice was the same, the nickname the same as the one given half in jest what felt like so long ago, but the muted, somber tone couldn't have been more different.

Higurashi approached almost soundlessly, the limp in her step muffled in the thick snow. Although she walked now without great effort, the pink scars on her left hind shaped conspicuously like a wolf's jaw were clearly fresh. Visually they marred the violet and crimson canvas of her sunset-styled hide, but the true scars were not so obviously presented. They were evident instead in the sadness of her gaze as she took in the cold, rotting carnage left behind, the heartbreaking scene of the hippocampus painfully dragging himself out of the water to close a fallen soldier's eyes.

"I much preferred it when you guarded the peaceful shores of Slidr Lake," she murmured, a wry, humorless smile turning up one corner of her lips. Just as quickly though it faded, as she eyed the still-healing wounds that he himself sported as evidence of his efforts in the battle. Silently, without aplomb, the priestess dipped her head in a deep, rather formal bow, maintaining it just a few moments longer than usual for the gravity of the situation. "Thank you," Higurashi said, her sweet voice uncharacteristically taut with emotion despite the careful serenity of her visage. "Thank you for fighting on behalf of Espen the protector, for suffering injury on his behalf. Thank you for looking after me that day, even when you were fighting for your own life. Thank you for being here for the honorable dead, when others have abandoned their remains." Raising her head, the priestess looked away from the body at her hooves and looked out in dismay over the others, repulsed and saddened in equal measure at the decay, the death, the loneliness here on this frozen shore. Many of the dead had been taken away or laid to rest elsewhere by their respective armies, but those who could not claim a House as their own, the unaffiliated who had fought and fallen here, had been left behind. In her own custom, any who had fought alongside them, be they prince or a pauper, would have merited an honorable burial or cremation at least, along with the same purification rites afforded the soldiers. A shrine would have been erected to appease their spirits and commemorate their sacrifice, dedicated to all, be they venerated warrior or nameless dead. She had returned to this site as soon as she felt safe to travel alone again, but she had expected to find all bodies removed by now, not this frozen carnage.

"We cannot bring them all home," she murmured sadly, as much to herself as to the only other living soul in the desecrated battlefield. "I will do what I can to purify this tainted land and bring peace to their spirits. Will you help me, Guardian-han?"

[ tags ] Natsilane
[ words ] 490
[ ooc ] This scene is so powerful... Practically writes itself :O

Photomanipulation: magtox
Stock: Malleni-Stock
Table and Coding: Raven
日暮神楽
ひ ぐ ら し か ぐ ら
Tag: @[Higurashi Kagura]

N A T S I L A N E

Their meeting upon the shores of a distant body of water was but an echo now. The somber mood had tainted his spirit, and while he should have been surprised that she was here in such far reaches of the Valley, Natsilane elected to only offer her a glance upward. There was no anger for her, no brashness to be had. Only sorrow. Death was something that should be peaceful, not like this--not like he knew it to be.

He listens with a stoic expression set firm on his tattered visage, once more turning pale eyes to the fallen soldier that lay at his side. Home, the word stung him to the core and he was reminded that these fallen men and women were destined to rot here just like he was. Natislane had never been one to care much, but, he would be lying if he told you the sight of Espen and Fenrir didn't haunt him. He could almost taste the discord still lingering on the air as if it were now a permanent albeit invisible cloud upon the frozen shore. His jaw clenched at the thought, body tense with anger and frustration and pain.

"I believe he is from the West" Nat finds himself muttering. "My...family....was from the West." He closes his eyes for a moment and draws a deep breath. "Priestess, you I don't suppose you know any fire magic?" he is quick to change this topic, for it strikes an all too personal chord within him. "They deserve better than the ice. My mother once talked about the pyres for the dead; the great and noble warriors cleansed by fire." pale eyes shift back to her, softening if only a little."They earned that sort of reverie, and I will not forget their sacrifice--even if everyone else has."

As he shifted again in the uncomfortable course sand, a hiss escaped his mouth. One of the wounds tore open the awful scab, bleeding onto the dark sands. Craning his neck, his tongue sought to rake across it but alas he was in no position to do just that. If anything, he supposed the salt from the sea would do it well--and that he needed to return soon. Nat felt the dryness on his skin. "I cannot stay out here much longer, but I will do what it is you wish."

There was a pause for a moment before he added: "And...I am sorry for my actions upon our last meeting--it was, foolish of me to act so brazenly in the presence of one such as yourself."

Higurashi Kagura I should get him the damn thing soon lmao poor guy. also sorry its not the best. --Edited to be in accordance with rules lmao <3

Tag: @[Natsilane]

Much was told about one's character by how they treated the memory of those already departed, and Higurashi was finding much to admire and respect about her Guardian-han. Here, amid these sombering reminders of mortality, the truths and vulnerabilities of his heart were coming to light. All the anger, the hostility he'd had for her seemed to have melted away, leaving behind only a burdened, weary soul. The priestess, fully aware of the sanctity and fragility of the moment, remained humbly quiet as he spoke, listening with the supernatural empathy that allowed her to accept his turmoil of emotions directly into her own heart. Her eyes shone with something quite difficult to place as she looked intently into his own, that piercing blue that she remembered but had never seen this closely before - so cold, like ice; so haunted with ghosts. And though she must have wished to hear more about his family, beyond the tiniest glimpse that he had offered, she did not press him on the subject. Instead, Higurashi closed her golden eyes and shook her head in mute reply to his query, a soft sigh escaping her lips before she replied. "I do not have that power," said the priestess, regret coloring her tones. "Mine is only spiritual power, rather than that of flame or ice. But I will gather them here at least, so that they can rest side by side, as they fought in life. Perhaps someone else will have the ability to raise a great pyre for them."

She turned back to regard him as he let out an involuntary hiss of pain, watching with no small amount of sympathy as he did what he could to tend to his wounds. The sunset priestess still remembered, after all, how much it had pained him last time to remain out of the water, even without these wolf-inflicted wounds bleeding fresh with each movement he made. A healer's touch, or a touch of fire - both would have served well here, ironically, but Higurashi had no such services to offer. She instead leaned down, violet tresses sweeping the frozen earth, and gently kissed him on the cheek. Whether he accepted the gesture or jerked away in alarm, she did not force the issue and straightened up again, a ghost of a smile finding its way back onto her serene features. "You are already forgiven," she said simply. "Brashly you may have acted, but a fool you are not.

"Come, return to the waters; I ask only that you pray from the bottom of your heart for their souls to find peace. The sincerity of a wish is what gives it power, power enough to deliver these poor spirits from the fear and pain they felt before death."
With that, the violet-and-crimson mare stepped away from the shore and set herself to the painstaking work of moving the frozen corpses one by one to rest together in one place. Without great physical strength or convenient tools at her disposal, the femme resorted to any other means available, digging away the snow with her hooves, using any available strap or hold to drag the heavy bodies bit by bit over the ice. The stench of decay, which no amount of frost could mask, crept its way into her lungs, the heavy bodies weighing like stones, but still she persisted, until a sheen of sweat steamed from her body in the winter air.

[ tags ] Natsilane
[ words ] 573

Photomanipulation: magtox
Stock: Malleni-Stock
Table and Coding: Raven
日暮神楽
ひ ぐ ら し か ぐ ら
Tag: @[Higurashi Kagura]